Cerious Software ThumbsPlus 8
is a highly customizable image database with thumbnails and batch editing.
It makes it easy to catalog, organize, locate and maintain all of your
graphics, multimedia and font files. It runs on
Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista and Windows 7.
Both 32 and 64-bit versions of O/Ses are suppoorted. ThumbsPlus makes it
easy to find and maintain graphics, clip art, fonts, and animation files. By
displaying a thumbnail of each file,
ThumbsPlus lets you browse, view, edit, and crop images quickly and easily.
The program will also let you launch external editors, copy images to the
Clipboard, drag and drop graphics files among directories, create a slide
show from selected graphics, install BMP files as Windows wallpaper, and use
DDE commands to control ThumbsPlus from other programs. ThumbsPlus supports
a variety of file formats, including Microsoft Image Composer (MIC), PNG,
Silicon Graphics (RGB), Seattle Filmworks (SFW), and Minolta RD-175 (MDC).
Detailed Feature List for our Thumbnails software
- ThumbsPlus version 7 offers new toolbar buttons and graphics
with a Windows XP feel, improved menus, and a much wider
selection of buttons to choose from.
- You can load, view, edit and save 16 bit per channel images.
- You can create, handle and view alpha channels in 24-bit and
- A digital cameral raw plug-in (Click
here for information and downloads.) is available, and file
types loaded by this filter will be loaded as 48-bit.
- Support for AOL .ART files.
- You can save RAW files (image bits only, no image
- Many different and interesting image filters are available.
- Photo printing options with print preview.
- You can change or modify the image resolution during resize,
and the print size is computed.
- You can also enter a print size and the pixel dimensions
will be computed. Image | Transform | Resize.
- ThumbsPlus will print all pages of multi-image TIFF, DCX and
- You can automatically extract EXIF information and store in
- You can display up to nine user fields in the thumbnail
- Perform quick batch processing directly from the main menu's
Image | Quick Batch fly out menu.
- Many slide show transitions.
- Windows Color Management support.
- Assign color profiles to scanners and digital cameras.
- Movie thumbnail and viewing options (Options | File Loading
| Movies & Sounds).
- Preview window available (you can switch between Tasks and
- Color replacement in single and batch mode (Image | Adjust).
- Quick convert menu for converting multiple files (Image |
- Quick (and non-lossy for JPEG files) turns (90, 180, 270)
- Stamp an image with any image info (such as file name, date,
EXIF fields, etc.), another image or any text. Image | Stamp.
- Multiple undo/redo capability.
- Generate thumbnail web pages in the Web Page Wizard. Image |
Web Page Wizard. The thumbnails can link directly to the full
size images, to individual pages for each image or to a
- Many template styles for the Web Page Wizard.
- Can convert and resize images in the Web Page Wizard.
- Thumbnail annotations can be viewed during a slide show.
- Will show the computed similarity between selected images.
Image | Compare.
- Even more versatile batch processing, including setting file
- OLE support for many different file formats not handled
- Support for IPTC editing in batch process.
- Support for viewing EXIF information from digicam files.
- EXIF version 2.2 fields supported.
- Create thumbnails of unsupported files from the
clipboard. Thumbnail | Make from Clipboard.
- Windows Still Image support to launch ThumbsPlus
automatically with your scanner or when attaching your camera.
|Database and Thumbnail
- ODBC database support (MS Access format by default).
- Find similar and duplicate images.
- User-defined fields for categorizing and searching.
- Multiple customizable thumbnail views (small, large,
custom, list and report).
- Additional sort options (similarity, orientation,
- Thumbnails can be JPEG compressed (recommended for
Pentium II machines and faster).
|Image Viewing and Editing
- Step-based batch processing.
- Image stamping (overlay text or image).
- Freehand select, paste into.
- Digital image watermarking (using Digimarc®
- Extensive search capabilities with named search sets.
- Zoom view window image to arbitrary percentages.
- Multiple monitor support.
- Synchronized image viewing (for comparing images).
- Photographic red eye removal.
- Rotate images to line quickly & easily.
- Hairline (cross hair) cursor option.
- Many new status bar options in View Window.
- Combine images (add, subtract, multiply, divide, and, or,
- Drag images directly from the thumbnail view and drop on an
open view window for quick pasting.
- Overall improvements in viewing file information (from
- Support for newest Kodak & Nikon DCS professional digital
|Folders & File Organization
- Windows Explorer folder tree format.
- Folder operations (create, copy, move, rename,
- Image galleries for custom ordered slide shows, quick
- Favorite locations.
- Network Neighborhood access.
- Automatic file renaming (numbering).
- Support for SUBST drives.
- Multithreaded operation (multiple background tasks).
- Many configuration parameters.
- Customizable toolbars for main and view windows.
- Multi-user network licensees can use other
- Context sensitive help for dialog items.
- Build canned slide shows to send to family or
- Upload pictures quickly and easily to several on-line
photo processing sites.
- Pentium 100 Mz.
- 48 Mb memory.
- 30 Mb hard disk space (database size not included).
- 256 color display.
- Windows 98, ME, XP, 2000, or 2003
Note about Windows 95 and NT4: ThumbsPlus is no longer
tested on Windows 95 or NT 4.0. Version 7.0 did run on these
operating systems, and is available
There may be other limitations we are not yet aware of. We do
not do comprehensive testing on these operating systems any
longer. Version 7.0 is likely to be the final version still
capable of running on Windows 95 and NT 4.0. According to the
lead developer, ThumbsPlus is no longer compatible with NT4.
- Pentium II, minimum.
- 128 Mb memory or more.
- 30 Mb hard disk space.
- Truecolor (24 or 32-bit) display.
- Windows XP or Windows 2000
- As with any graphic-intensive application, ThumbsPlus
will run best with lots of memory. Large images may also require
- The total disk space required depends on the number
of thumbnails you make.
Standard Edition vs. Pro Edition
|ThumbsPlus Pro Edition includes the following extra features that
are not available in the Standard Edition:
Raw and professional camera
file formats (Digicam
- .CRW (Canon raw format)
- .CR2 (Canon raw format)
- .NEF (Nikon raw format)
- .MRW (Minolta raw format)
- .DCS (Kodak professional camera)
- .DCR (Kodak professional camera)
- .ORF (Olympus raw format)
- .MDC (Minolta format)
Scientific file formats:
- Olympus Confocal TIFF
- Biorad Confocal PIC
- IPL format
16 & 48-bit JPEG2000 support.
Photoshop plug-in support (file format 8bi files): Lurawave, STN,
Cerious plug-in support.
The ability to use another SQL database such as SQL Server 7, SQL
2000 or Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere.
The Pro version is required for users who wish to share ThumbsPlus
databases across a network. This includes home networks.
DDE and command line utility.
Version 8 General Notes
ThumbsPlus 8 is a Unicode
application, and thus supports folder names, file names and data in any language
regardless of the edition of Windows on your computer. This also makes version 8
incompatible with 95/98/ME, which should have been retired about 5 years ago.
Most parts of ThumbsPlus are now ready to be
built as a 64-bit application, which will allow much larger images to be loaded
and handled. Some parts will have to remain 32-bit in order to call 32-bit
libraries from other vendors (at least until those are available in 64-bit
The database schema has been reworked to
incorporate the most requested features, including support for Date Taken as a
primary (rather than user) field, and addition of a Rating field, which can be
loaded from XMP or Vista metadata.
Additional version 8 changes include:
- Support for longer file and path names in
databases which support them (400 characters).
- Tracking of which user and system made or
updated each thumbnail. (A history log will be added in a future release).
- All dates and times are now stored (and
handled internally) in ISO 8601 standard format for easier collation and
readability. As in previous versions, dates and times are stored internally
as UTC and converted to and from the user's local time zone for display and
- Some important database-related information
that was previously stored in the INI file is now stored in the database,
preventing accidental changes by users.
- As an option, all XMP metadata (including
standard EXIF fields) may be copied to the database. In databases which
support it (i.e., SQL Server), this information may be directly searched by
queries in SQL Server Management Studio.
- The JET database engine (Access format) will
continue be supported for a the time being; however, SQL Server, MySQL,
PostgreSQL, Firebird offer larger databases, and better performance and
reliability in multi-user configurations,
- SQLite3 offers improved performance for
non-shared database (standalone), and does not top out at 2GB as MS Access
- For Access and SQLite3 databases, you can
store the thumbnails in files external to the database, offering near
unlimited support for the number of thumbnails in even an Access (.tpdb8)
- Lengthened keyword size to 255 characters,
with the ability to define categorical keywords, such as "Animal\Dog". The
keyword list will be available in tree format easier handling during
- Many changes have been made to ease future
internationalization of ThumbsPlus, thus speeding localized releases.
- Python has been added to ThumbsPlus for use
as a scripting language. This will enable both Cerious Software and our
users to extend the capabilities without having to release new versions.
More parts of ThumbsPlus will be moved to Python in the future to allow
easier customization, either by ourselves or by you! Currently there is not
a simple UI for adding Python routines, but one will be available in 8.1.
- Support for themes and skins. Additional
panes in the main window are provided for easier keyword assignment,
searching, and metadata editing. All menus, toolbars and keystrokes are now
customizable. Any menu selection or list may now be placed on the toolbar.
- ThumbsPlus is now a Unicode application
(16-bit characters), allowing better handling of filename and folder display
(in their native character sets).
- ThumbsPlus is being prepared for building as
a 64-bit application, which will improve some issues. Unfortunately, many
libraries we use are only available in 32-bit form, so we'll either need to
build a work-around or wait until the vendors release updated DLLs.
- SQLite3 is now a supported database type,
and it's built-in like Access, so you can create a new database directly
(rather than having to worry about SQL scripts and ODBC data sources). Just
use Database - New and select ThumbsPlus Database
(Sqlite3 format .tpdbs) in the drop-down. Because of the way SQLite3
handles database concurrency, it is not recommended for sharing by more than
a few concurrent users on either .tpdb8 (Access) or .tpdb8s (SQLite3)
database formats.. In that case, please use one of the supported
Client/Server databases (MS SqlServer, MySQL, Sybase, DB2, PostgreSQL,
- You can now convert client/server databases
within ThumbsPlus. Use Database - Convert Client/Server.
Make sure you convert a copy or have a backup, as the process is not
- Improved XMP/IPTC/EXIF and interoperability.
- Updated the bug reporter (ThumbsBug) to
create .7z archive for sending.
- Added more information to the error message
when copying the template database fails.
- Fixed several display issues in Windows 7.
- Improved performance for network folders.
- Changed extensions for schemes and sets.
- Fixed several problems with printing images
- Set default monitor to "Same" on first run
or when the number of monitors changed.
- Improved automatic keyword generation.
- Fixed the database extension and database
options when creating database.
- Fixed loading ICC color profiles from JPEG
- Changed database row ID sizes to 64 bits on
databases that support it. Converted databases will still use 32-bit
- Several database upgrade fixes.
- Implemented upgrading from several
client/server databases (MySQL, Firebird, SQL Server, PostgreSQL). Note that
even a successful conversion may list some SQL errors that you can ignore (I
plan to suppress the display in a future build). The last output line will
report whether the conversion failed.
- Fixed errors when processing XMP updates.
- Very many user interface issues have been
updated and fixed. You can now customize all menus (including context
menus),, toolbars, and keyboard shortcuts.
- External programs (File - Open With
- Add Program) are implemented on the File menus
(main window and view window), and during toolbar customization, you can
drag them to the toolbar.
- Creating thumbnails with lots of automatic
keywords is now considerably faster on Access (.tpdb8) and SQLite3 (.tpdb8s)
- I implemented the Metadata Batch Editor
(XMP/IPTC/EXIF), File - Edit Metadata.
- ThumbsPlus 8 requires a new registration
code. We have emailed codes to all eligible to receive free upgrades; if you
think we missed you, or if your email address has changed, please use the
Code Request Form to request your code. Please be patent! we're a small
company and anticipate many thousands of code requests.
- Windows 7 support.
- Proper volume matching for network drives.
If you have previously thumbnailed network shares using a Version 8 beta, I
would recommend creating a new database. There have been
an enormous number of fixes and changes.
- The Thumbs.typ and
Thumbs.flt files have been renamed to Thumbs8
because of conflicts when version 7 and version 8 were installed on the same
- ThumbsPlus will now read ratings from the
file's metadata; however, modifying the rating is not connected, you have to
modify both the database rating (in the "Info" section) and the XMP rating
(in the "Metadata" section). The same is true for Date Taken (original
date/time). This will be fixed for improved intuitively in a subsequent
- The default display layout, menus, and
toolbars have changed. If you customized prior version(s) of ThumbsPlus,
you'll need to do so again in version 8!
16 February 2012 ThumbsPlus 9 Pre-release Sale
Download ThumbsPlus Version 9